std abbreviations?

Subject: std abbreviations?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:24:10 -0800

Does anyone know of a good list of standard abbreviations, preferably
online. My web
search yields all kinds of specialized acronym and abbreviation lists, from
terms to military acronyms to abbreviations used in medicine and
electronics. I've
even found a list of abbreviations that are likely to be read/heard by brain
patients. <sigh>

But I'm looking for something more general -- something for a programming
team to
use when naming variables to standardize abbreviations for "number",
"manager", etc. I'm trying to keep a multi-lingual team from getting too
creative. ;-)

Thanks for your help!
Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy