Argh! Indexing in FM 6.0

Subject: Argh! Indexing in FM 6.0
From: Chris Fitzgerald <fitzgerald -at- di -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:27:10 -0800

Hi everyone! I've been away from the list for a while so I'm a bit "out of the
loop", but needed your help with a few problems that I'm having with FrameMaker
6.0. I checked the archives, but found only general discussions. The FM help
topics also do not address the specific trouble that I'm having.

The two huge problems that I'm having in FrameMaker 6 are as follows:

1. Setting up the files in a book file. My book was created using FM 5.5. I
converted them to 6.0 and needed to add a new chapter. When I added the new
chapter, the book file did not acknowledge the new numbering. The new chapter
(should be Ch. 7) continued to number as Chapter 1. I changed the variable
number (it says chapter number 7), but still shows in the book file as Chapter
1. I used the Documents/Numbering format to change the number to 7, but it
still reads as Chapter 1. In order to change the number and the footnote
numbering, I manually changed the Format/Paragraph/Designer then numbering to
N=7. The numbering is correct, but it is still not recognized by the book file.
In 5.5, this was done in the book file as File/Set up File. Where did it go?

2. In addition to the above, my indexes do not acknowledge this chapter as
chapter 7. But more of a problem is the fact that my generated indexes list the
entry and one number only. For example: Navigator 33. So ALL of the entries do
not show the chapter number (i.e., 2-33). I generated the index and all seems to
look correct except for the numbering of the entries. I tried to open a new
book file, and add each file in order again from scratch, but this did not work.
HELP! I need to publish this darn manual tomorrow!

Thanks so much for addressing any or all of these concerns. Now that I'm back
on the list, I hope to help you all, too!

TIA :)

Chris
* Chris Fitzgerald
* Technical Writer -Software Documentation
* Digital Instruments Veeco Metrology Group
* (805)967-1400 ext. 2323
* fitzgerald -at- di -dot- com