Re: Should writers develop their own illustrations?

Subject: Re: Should writers develop their own illustrations?
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rstevens -at- atg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 08:31:02 -0500

John Posada wrote:

> I cannot even imagine most of those changes in VB being as easy as
> grabbing a corner and dragging, dragging an element from a palette,
> highlighting text and changing the font size, dragging elements
> around the screen.

Surprisingly enough, for the most part they are. :-) Not a crack at you, John,
by any means, but tech writers in the software field should be aware of this
tool's capabilities if they're going to be doing a lot of UI design. It has its
quirks, but overall it's the best MS product I've seen to date (and given my
rabid anti-MS bias, for me to say it's a good tool means something! :-)). The VB
language itself is also relatively easy to learn if you want to go that route.

It's somewhat expensive IIRC, but I think you can get a hamstrung version in
some of the books out there, which will let you do everything but compile the
program into an .exe.

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
Art Technology Group