Re: MS Word help

Subject: Re: MS Word help
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 23:02:07 -0600

Couple of things could be the problem. Try these:

1. Delete all files that end in tmp in the directory with your
document files and reboot. Then try to open it again. If that doesn't
work, go to step 2.

2. Open a blank document, then put about four or five hard returns
(blank lines) in it. Then insert the problem document into this blank
document, but be sure, BEFORE you insert it, to have a couple of blank
lines AFTER the last line of the inserted document. In other words,
put your cursor two lines ABOVE the last paragraph mark, then insert
the problem doc, then save it with a new name (not the name of the
problem doc). Word saves all its document info in that last paragraph
mark, so you want the new document to have its own paragraph mark and
a new name. I know it sounds hokey, but I've had to do this many, many
times over the years.

Once you get the document opened, be sure that your Word doc does NOT
end with a table. Always put one or two blank lines after a table when
the table is the last thing in a document. That can also cause

3. If all the above fails, you can sometimes get someone with Word
2000 to open the doc file on a different computer. Before they save
it, though, be sure they save it with the option checked to "disable
features not supported by Word 97" in the Options > Save dialog. Even
WordPad can open some Word docs, though you may lose some formatting.

Good luck,

Jane Bergen