RE: Nit picky grammar question

Subject: RE: Nit picky grammar question
From: Melanie Shook <mshook -at- com2001 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:57:37 -0600

I think the grammatical correctness becomes more obvious when you make
"headquarters" the subject of a sentence.

a) Headquarters requires all personnel to wear an identification badge.

b) Headquarters require all personnel to wear an identification badge.

The meaning is changed by using the plural form of the verb - it sounds like
more than one company's headquarters makes that requirement.

I agree that "Where is your headquarters" sounds funny, but I still think it
is correct.

Melanie Shook
Technical Publications Supervisor
mshook -at- COM2001 -dot- com