Re: Agency warning signs

Subject: Re: Agency warning signs
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:26:11 -0800

Marguerite Krupp wrote:

> the NWU has a unionist focus

I should admit upfront that I've stood on too many picket lines to
think that a unionist stance is anything except desirable. Also, not
being an American, I know nothing about the NWU.

However, from the viewpoint of contractors, especially new ones who
don't know the business or the issues, that may be exactly what's
needed: a group to defend them when they can't defend themselves.
Naturally, a unionist position should be treated with skepticism,
but so should any position; supporting a cause shouldn't require
that you check your critical thinking at the door.

It's true that the current job market favors employees, so, for now,
a unionist position may seem unnecessary. But, if the market ever
changes, we may be grateful for it. Despite all the tired rhetoric
about the New Economy, the basic issues of working for a living
don't change.

--
Bruce Byfield, Progeny Linux Systems
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Oh play me a blues song and fade down the light
I'm sad as a proud man can be sad tonight,
Just let me dream on, just let me sway,
while the sweet violins and the saxaphones play."
- Richard Thompson, "Waltzing's for Dreamers"