Re: Agency warning signs

Subject: Re: Agency warning signs
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:22:20 -0800

Cathy Moore wrote:

I'm being courted by some agencies that offer high-paying work in a
nearby city that I'm unfamiliar with. I'm eager for the money, but
I've found horror stories in the TECHWR-L archives that give me
pause. I'vegotten some good information from the National Writers
Union & STC sites, but I'm still wondering: What early warning signs
should steer me away from an agency? What are the signs of a good
agency? How can I best
protect my interests?

Off the top of my head:

Off the top of my head:

1.) The company asks you to fill out a long form related to
high-tech that applies more to programmers than to you. That may
mean that the company doesn't have much experience with writers and
won't know how to present you.

2.) The company doesn't talk about how you can improve your
resume/portfolio/looks/behaviour. That may mean that they're not
interested in anything except another warm body to make them money.

3.) The company keeps trying to get you to apply for jobs for which
you are unqualified, especially if the jobs require other skills
than writing.

4.) The company submits simultaneous, multiple job candidates. A
couple of candidates may be acceptable, but too many mean that the
company isn't being fair to you.

5.) The company requires a fee before it represents you. The company
probably can't help you, unless relieving you of some cash is
helpful.

6.) The company doesn't talk brief you before the interview, and
debrief you afterwards. That means that the company is not only
uninterested in you, but not interested enough in its own business
to gather information.

7.) The company takes a percentage of your salary, rather than
negotiating that separately with the business that hires you.

--
Bruce Byfield, Progeny Linux Systems
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Oh play me a blues song and fade down the light
I'm sad as a proud man can be sad tonight,
Just let me dream on, just let me sway,
while the sweet violins and the saxaphones play."
- Richard Thompson, "Waltzing's for Dreamers"