Re: TIF or GIF?

Subject: Re: TIF or GIF?
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:03:27 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, jmccallan -at- vermeermfg -dot- com ("Jim McCallan") writes:
>I've been looking at the graphics we use in FrameMaker 5.6 for use in PDF,
>HTML, and paper manuals. I've seen some improvements in quality when using
>GIF instead of TIF, and the end file size of the PDF is smaller as well.
>Are there any draw-backs to using GIF's in manuals for hard print? We
>import the graphics by reference currently, but are looking at making our
>FrameMaker files more portable by copying the graphics into Frame instead of
>importing by reference. We generally print the paper copies at 600 dpi. Any

We've had very bad results using GIFs for print output.
The images look like they were taken underwater. We use
TIFs in our single-source documents and DynaWeb automatically
converts them to GIFs for web display.

Janice Gelb | Just speaking for me, not Sun.
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com |

**WEST COAST LOCATIONS** San Jose (Mar 1-2), San Francisco (Apr 16-17) or 800-646-9989.