RE: Where is the ceiling in TW?

Subject: RE: Where is the ceiling in TW?
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:51:33 -0800

>>1. If you don't want to relocate, but you also don't want to throw away
all
of your hard-earned experience, what would you (personally) do to ensure
your income increases? How would you continue to "be a writer" and make more
money than you're making now? What type of work would you look for? In what
industry?<<

Try your hand at some part-time contract work, but set a limit on the number
of hours per week you can be involved in such a side venture. Quote flat
project fees rather than hourly rates wherever you can because that's where
the money is...in selling your expertise, not your time. Try your hand at
freelance writing. I sold my first article when I was 12 years old and I'm
still doing it on a part-time basis. Write books...lots of folks on this
list are book authors.

>>2. What is your personal perception of the financial "ceiling" in
Technical
Writing as a profession? Does one exist? If so, where is it? If not, where
is the unlimited potential for millions in this business?<<

That depends on your experience (type and no. of years), industry, part of
the country, demand for your skills/experience, etc. $75K a year is what a
good Sr. tech writer in the Central Texas area can make with standard skill
sets and about 10 years experience. I know doc managers that make $95K that
oversee a company's entire tech doc collateral development; I know other doc
managers who make $130K as cross-functional/cross-business unit information
problem solvers. Then there are contractors and consultants who can pull in
$80-$120K plus a year.

The ceiling is set by many factors, not the least of which is what you
choose to do wiht your own skills and knowledge.

>>3. If you are a "non-techie" writer who wants to keep writing instead
becoming a programmer, where do you focus your job search? What fields and
what job titles?<<

There's less and less need of people with just writing skills today. You
need to have more technical knowledge to make more money. You don't have to
be a programmer, but you can become more knowledgeable on your company's
products and services, or learn XML or lead a single-source documentation
initiative. Your salary is largely a reflection of your employer's
perception of your value-add.

Donn Le Vie