Re: Where is the ceiling in TW?

Subject: Re: Where is the ceiling in TW?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:24:39 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

> If you are not willing to learn the more technical aspects, your options are
> pretty limited. Despite what many people may say, there really is not much of
> a market left for "non-techies". Basically, when times are tight companies
> layoff the non-techies first because they are the easiest to replace. Times
> are getting tight, so the market for positions that do not demand "techie"
> skills are rapidly drying up.

Well, there is (gasp!) marketing. Non-technical tech writers could
do very well in marketing, because their level of understanding is
appropriate to the field. Even there, though, a technical background
is useful, if only so that the geeks will talk to you (even if it's
in a parking garage at midnight, so nobody sees them talking to a
marketer) and to avoid making embarrassing mistakes.

Of course, you should only go into marketing if eternal damnation
doesn't bother you...

Bruce Byfield, Progeny Linux Systems
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux
604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set
And blew. 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.'"
-Robert Browning

**WEST COAST LOCATIONS** San Jose (Mar 1-2), San Francisco (Apr 16-17) or 800-646-9989.