RE: Frames and Compatibility (was: web admin duties)

Subject: RE: Frames and Compatibility (was: web admin duties)
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:11:35 -0600

RE: tables and accessibility

At my last contract, we were working on making our intranet pages
accessible to users who used screen reader software--in our organization,
that was "JAWS for Windows." FWIW, tables were a disaster in JAWS if rows
contained text that wrapped to a second line. JAWS read each *line* of the
table, not each row, from left to right. Data tables with single lines of
text in each cell were workable *if* one assumed the user could remember
what the column headings were, because after JAWS read off the column
headings from left to right, that was it; the rest was data.

In many cases we wound up providing links to alternative text versions for
some simpler tables. For example, if the column headings were "Name,"
"Rank," "Serial number," and "Date of birth," the text alternative would
look something like this:
Name: _______
Rank: ________
Serial number: ______
Date of birth: ______

Serial number: ______
Date of birth: ______

Serial number: ______
Date of birth: ______

etc. Inelegant, but there weren't a lot of other options.

Christine