Permuted index (was Re: What do you assume ...)

Subject: Permuted index (was Re: What do you assume ...)
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:50:52 -0500

Sandy Harris wrote:

Ooops, hit the wrong key and sent before I'd finished.

> One extra that is sometimes worth adding is a permuted index. This takes each
> section title and turns it into an index entry under each word in it. For example,
> "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" gives three entries:

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
^
sort alphabetically on this column

Now if I remember nothing about the movie except that it involved killer vegetables,
I can find it by searching on "killer". Or if your customer wants to see every section
anywhere in your doc that mentions "disk", he looks for "disk" in this list.

This does not replace either TOC or index, but it is sometimes a useful addition.
Old Unix hacks like it; Unix man pages used to be indexed this way.

An example of this applied to all the h1, h2, ... headers in a collection of
HTML files is at:

http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.5/doc/perm.html.html

The code to build it is fairly simple and the scripts are in the FreeS/WAN
distribution, with a GPL license, so anyone who wants them can have them.
they're a bit on the quick-and-dirty side, not production quality.