Re: Sans-serif 8pt in PDF

Subject: Re: Sans-serif 8pt in PDF
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 06:51:41 -0500

Take a look at the configuration options in the printer driver you are
using. You should find a threshold setting for a size below which a font
is rendered as a bitmap instead of outlines. Change this to zero.

Also, do you evaluation on paper, not on the monitor. Or, if you do it
on the monitor, zoom in to see if the effect is real or is a display

stops -at- qualum -dot- com wrote:
> Hello all
> I'm using large side-heads in the series of manuals I'm writing at the
> moment. To signpost new topics, I would like to use a small sans-serif
> typeface like Arial 8pt, but in the PDF it invariably comes out poorly - as
> if someone smeared the ink before it dried.
> I've tried alternatives: Lucida Sans Unicode, Trebuchet, Verdana, Tahoma
> etc. - all with the same result.
> Is this because these are TrueType and not Postscript? If not, what can I
> do to avoid the problem, short of plumping for a safe option such as Times
> 9pt?

**WEST COAST LOCATIONS** San Jose (Mar 1-2), San Francisco (Apr 16-17) or 800-646-9989.