Sans-serif 8pt in PDF

Subject: Sans-serif 8pt in PDF
From: stops -at- qualum -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 7:42:16

With the kind help of Dick Margulis, I understand that this is an issue
that's been discussed at length in the past, but for the benefit of other
newcomers and for those who don't know that "Adobe Default Postscript" is
listed at the Adobe download site as "AdobePS for Windows 95 and Windows
98", here is the lowdown on what to do in this situation:

Goto Start>Settings>Printers.
Right-click the "Acrobat distiller" driver and select Properties from the
context menu.
In the General tab you see, the Driver field should say "Adobe Default
PostScript Printer" ("Adobe PDFWriter" doesn't cut it). If it doesn't,
click it, and if you don't see it in the pop-down list, download it from
http://www.adobe.com/products/printerdrivers/windows.html.
After you've downloaded and installed it, choose it in the Driver field as
above, and, in the Device Settings tab, scroll down to the bottom and
change "Minimum Font Size to Download as Outline" to zero.

Thanks again to Dick for his patience in walking me through this.

Incidentally, BethK has asked me if this issue is the same as the cause of
blurred graphics in the PDF. The answer (as I'm sure has also been covered
in the past) is no: for that you need to turn off the default Downsampling
options in the Compression tab of Job Options in Acrobat Distiller.

Happy Framing

- Jonathan Stoppi
The Tall Guy
Qualum