Re: OT: Tech writers and cookbooks

Subject: Re: OT: Tech writers and cookbooks
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:46:58 -0600

I think you've got a pretty good start already. I agree with your points on the
order of ingredients, the multiple steps crunched into one, and the prose style
of presenting the procedures (and sometimes even the ingredients!).

In a recipe with several distinct procedures or phases, for example, preparing a
marinade, preparing the main portion of the dish, and preparing a sauce, I like
to have those things separated by at least a blank line. Labeling the parts is
even better.

One of my biggest complaints about some cookbooks is the indexing. If you want
to see lots of examples of lousy indexes, look at a bunch of cookbooks. If I
have eggplant on hand and want to find recipes for using it, it isn't helpful if
the only index reference is to Golden Crunchy Eggplant Surprise.

I think writing a cookbook is a specialized form of tech writing, and I too
intend to write a cookbook some day.

Good luck,
Jo

--