Re: Finding a good job title

Subject: Re: Finding a good job title
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 04:45:34 -0800 (PST)

Regarding the finding of a good job title:

I can understand how it would be important to a lot of people. As we move from
job to job, sometimes more than once in a year, it becomes important for our
next move that the titles show the kind of career progression or wealth of
skills we are acquiring on the way.

But mostly *I* don't care what you call me as long as the checks are good and
the work is interesting. <g>

Recently my boss wanted to promote me, which I decided was better than a slap
in the face with a wet fish <g>. Our organizational structure would have
normally dictated that I be made a supervisor, but I've been there and done
that and frankly I prefer being a writer. So we compromised. I have no idea
whether my new title, visible in my sig, means anything more to the industry
than my former one, Senior Technical Writer, but it satisfied the powers that
be around here. The pay bump was nice, too.

For what they pay me, the toys they let me play with, and the work I get to do,
they could call me 'Writer Boy' for all I care. As I said, as long as the
checks are good... <g>

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer