Tech writers and cookbooks? One's already available.

Subject: Tech writers and cookbooks? One's already available.
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:19:19 -0500

Jo Baer wonders <<Maybe we could use some of the profits from the sale of
the cookbook to support this list.>>

Oddly enough, I led such a project several years back for copyediting-l, and
produced a cookbook entitled "Food for thought". The cookbook, available in
PDF format, is free for the downloading, and it's "charityware": in exchange
for using it, we hope you'll donate a minimum of $5 to your local food bank.
Similarly, you're welcome to print up as many copies as you want and sell
them to fund your favorite local charity (with no royalties required); our
original intent was to promote literacy programs (hence the title), but
obviously food banks or any other real charity would be a perfectly suitable
goal for this program. We raised something like $1000 right off the bat from
contributors and their friends downloading the book, and several agencies
across Canada and the U.S. used the book in their fundraisers.

Recipes range from simple and familiar to a few that are a bit more exotic,
and there are some lovely narratives from the chefs who provided the
recipes. Details? Head over to: http://home.columbus.rr.com/wblinn/

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"I vowed [that] if I complained about things more than three times, I had to
do something about it."--Jon Shear