RE: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma

Subject: RE: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma
From: "Cindy Parker-Mart" <cparker -at- fuse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:07:43 -0500

The best solution I can offer to a person newly entering our field is to
talk to companies about a paid internship. Last year I met a woman who was
considering changing careers. She was an elementary school teacher and was
considering writing. I, being a sole writer in a large company, desparately
needed help. I approached my boss about bringing her on for the summer so
she could try out the field and I could get some much needed help. Needless
to say, everyone was thrilled. My teacher/writer friend learned the basics
from an experienced writer, I got help and the chance to see if I really
could mentor someone, and the company received an excellent intern who was
willing to work for less than the average new hire. (They actually paid
here quite well.)

To make a long story short, 7 weeks into her internship, I found another job
and she was the logical choice to replace me. She has since thrived in the
position and still calls me to kick around ideas and to say thank you. All
of us out there needed a break at one time or another, and many of us are
overburdened at work, why not try mentoring someone? All of us needed to
get experience, why not help someone get theirs? The pay back is enormous
and is beneficial for all sides.

Just my 99 cents!

Cindy Parker-Mart
Information Engineer