RE: Ethics in Technical Communication

Subject: RE: Ethics in Technical Communication
From: "Russell Willerton (EUS)" <EUSRUWI -at- am1 -dot- ericsson -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:31:04 -0600

Sam Dragga (at Texas Tech University) has written and taught a lot about ethics in technical communication. He's the series editor of the Allyn & Bacon series of which the Dombrowski book is a part.

Here are some of his articles:

"Ethical Intercultural Technical Communication: Looking through the Lens of Confucian Ethics," Technical Communication Quarterly, 8 (1999): 365-381.

"A Question of Ethics: Lessons from Technical Communicators on the Job," Technical Communication Quarterly 6.2 (1997): 161-178.

"Is This Ethical? A Survey of Opinion on Principles and Practices of Document Design," Technical Communication 43 (1996): 255-265.

"The Ethics of Delivery." Rhetorical Memory and Delivery: Classical Concepts for Contemporary Composition and Communication. Ed. John Frederick Reynolds. Hillsdale: Erlbaum, 1993. 79-95.

He and Gwendolyn Gong wrote an excellent book, _Editing: The Design of Rhetoric._ Amityville, NY: Baywood Publishing, 1989. (I used it for my own MA thesis on rhetoric and marketing for high-tech services.) It has a chapter or two specifically devoted to ethics, but you could say that ethics is one of the overriding concerns of the book. This book is out of print, so it's a little tricky to find. I just ordered a copy from alibris.com and I'm waiting anxiously for it to arrive.

Best regards,

Russell Willerton
Ericsson, Inc.
Plano, TX USA