RE: translation software

Subject: RE: translation software
From: "Jennifer C. Siler" <jennifer_siler -at- cicenter -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:50:49 -0500

(I just realized my original reply to Justin went to him privately, and did not make it to the list.)

Ann is correct in saying that there is no translation software to translate documentation. I'll repost my reply to Justin, in case anyone else on the list is curious about the topic......

Justin,

Just to clarify, you cannot use translation software to 'translate' your documentation. You will still need a human translator who is a native speaker of the target language that has your subject experience. Translation memory software is just a tool to ensure consistency throughout your documentation.

There are two good articles on the Techwr-L website that explain the process of translation.

The first one deals with translation memory software specifically:

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/translationmemory.html

The other one talks about preparing your files for a translation agency.

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/trenches_planningfortranslation.html

If you need further information, or need a translation quote, please feel free to contact me. I'm a Senior Project Manager for a translation agency that uses a translation memory tool. Ensuring the use of a translation memory tool will make future revisions much less costly to your company.

Hope this helps.

At 09:43 AM 2/6/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Justin Kelley wrote:

>Anyone have experiences/stories about translation software? My company is
>considering it for the next release of our product.

This has been discussed on several forums. The consensus is that there is no
"Translation Software" that is able to replace the human translator. There
is software that aids the translation process but you still need someone to
review and tweak the final product. The best thing to do is to find a
reliable translation house or vendor to translate your documentation.

If you need additional information please let me know.