Re: XML vs. SGML for DocBook

Subject: Re: XML vs. SGML for DocBook
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:39:25 -0800

Megan Golding wrote:

> For future documentation projects, I've decided to stop using proprietary
> tools such as Word and begin using open standards such as DocBook with open
> tools such as Emacs.

Another soul saved from the Dark Side!

> I am working with Emacs and psgml and am now convinced that SGML
is the way
> to go with DocBook because "everyone else is using it". Can anyone suggest
> why I might choose XML instead?

You might want to make your decision based on the free software
tools that are available for SGML and XML. What parsers are
available? What output filters do you want? Is there an editor - GUI
or otherwise - that would make your life easier? Not that there's
anything wrong with a Swiss army knife like emacs, but you might
want to look around, just to make sure. After all, presumably you're
going to be living with your choices for a while.

--
Bruce Byfield 317.833.0313 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications, Progeny Linux Systems

"As through this world I travel, I've met with many men,
Some will rob you with a six gun and some with a fountain pen,
But as through this world you travel, as through this world you
roam,
You won't ever see an outlaw drive a family from its home."
-Woody Guthrie, "The Ballad of Pretty Boy Floyd"