RE: XML vs. SGML for DocBook

Subject: RE: XML vs. SGML for DocBook
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:37:07 -0500

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions about DocBook and SGML or
XML.

I've done some playing around with DocBook over the last few days. I'm
getting more comfortable with the tools I've chosen (Emacs with psgml on a
Linux computer) and details of DocBook markup. Because there seem to be more
tools and support for DocBook with SGML, I've decided to go in that
direction (as opposed to XML). Bryan Westbrook had an interesting comment
about XML "XML (actually a subset of SGML) is more of an emerging
technology". The emphasis of XML as emerging is what I needed to know. I can
always translate documents later on if I work with SGML now.

Now that I've made the switch, it's really painful to fire up Word to type a
quick document...I want to use a markup language for it! Thanks again for
everyone's help.

Regards,
Megan Golding
SecureWorks, Inc.