working environment (was: RE: extreme programming overview)

Subject: working environment (was: RE: extreme programming overview)
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:20:37 -0000

Meg Halter quoted:
>The ideal XP environment is an open area with
>cubicles around the periphery. Everyone sits in
>the open area to work and keeps their personal
>items in a cubicle, where they can also make
>personal phone calls. The open area concept
>facilitates communication.

Say that the open area is well-lit using natural light, and the cubicles are
windowed and soundproof, and that sounds like an ideal environment, full
stop. Good communication, yet you can be private when you need to be.

(Oh yeah... plus kettle, good coffee and tea, and a fridge and a
microwave... and a swimming-pool with floating mats to have the team
meetings in... and a jacuzzi, sauna, and onsite physiotherapist... Actually,
my ideal working environment includes a cat to sit on my lap and purr at
me.)

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.