RE: Tech Writers Running Servers

Subject: RE: Tech Writers Running Servers
From: "Buss, Jason A" <jabuss -at- cessna -dot- textron -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:14:50 -0600

Before you agree to anything, make sure the persons asking you to take this
on understand that this will eat a good chunk of production time (at first,
anyway). Just make sure you realize what you are committing yourself to,
and be careful not to spread yourself too thin.

If this is an NT file server, that is about the easiest server to set up and
maintain. Find any good book on NT server and have at it.
If it's an inexpensive Unix server your needing, I might suggest FreeBSD
over Linux. Linux gets more hype, definitely, but FreeBSD is, in my opinion
anyway, a more stable server platform (the sources are still based on the
old System V code from the 60s). Yahoo runs on FreeBSD. If you are going
this route, and intend to use Samba for file service, get the O'Reilly book
on Samba. It's a pretty tough beast to wrestle with the man pages alone.

With a decent knowledge base, some practice, and possibly some mentoring
(online newsgroups and mail lists are great) and a good chunk of free time
to apply your knowledge, any person who has a decent degree of technical
aptitude, understanding of basic computer hardware, and the patience of Job
can learn to setup and maintain a basic file server.

Good luck!

-Jason A. Buss