Dot-Com Dot-Crash WAS: transition from contract to full-time

Subject: Dot-Com Dot-Crash WAS: transition from contract to full-time
From: Pam Mandel <pmandel -at- nimble -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:36:13 -0800

Bruce wrote: In the past, contract work has paid more while being just as
available and as secure as full-time work (that is to say, not at
all secure). However, with the collapse of the dot-com mania and the
resulting widespread layoffs, this situation may no longer be true.

I'd like to hear how true this is from/for others. I went full-time a year
ago, and not a day goes by that I don't pine for my "dash trash" contractor
days. Don't get me wrong, people who work with me and are also on this
alias, I like my job JUST FINE but I experienced greater personal
satisfaction as a contractor. I spoke with an agency recently - they told me
that the work still existed, most of the layoffs are in the full time
sector, and those full time jobs that have been cut are now going to
contract staff. Zat so?

I'd like very much to hear how it's going out there in the contract world.
Sometimes I think I dodged the bullet by going full time perm when I did,
and other times I find the handcuffs oh-so-chafing.

Cheers,

Pam