Re: Dot-Com Dot-Crash WAS: transition from contract to full-time

Subject: Re: Dot-Com Dot-Crash WAS: transition from contract to full-time
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:10:47 -0800

Pam Mandel wrote:

> Bruce wrote: In the past, contract work has paid more while being just as
> available and as secure as full-time work (that is to say, not at
> all secure). However, with the collapse of the dot-com mania and the
> resulting widespread layoffs, this situation may no longer be true.
> I'd like to hear how true this is from/for others. ... I spoke with an agency
> recently - they told me
> that the work still existed, most of the layoffs are in the full time
> sector, and those full time jobs that have been cut are now going to
> contract staff. Zat so?

Pam, the contract world is alive and well. It isn't quite as frantic as it was
six months ago, but it's still very much alive. Companies are finding now that
they can hire full-time people more easily than they could six months ago, so
many of the jobs that were going to contractors are now being filled by
full-time people. Further there's a cutback in the opportunities to work
offsite most or all of the time. It's almost as if, now that the market is
softer, companies are cutting back on the privileges not because it's more
effective to do so, but simply because they can get away with it.

Furthermore, if we are to believe some of the economic predictors, things are
going to return to the frantic pace in about three or four months.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems