Re: Technical Test

Subject: Re: Technical Test
From: Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:30:22 -0500

Andrew:

Have you considered this: pre-employment tests are a common source of
lawsuits and EEOC complaints. I have a colleague who has made a successful
career of testifying as an expert in this field. Recalling conversations
with him and work I've done for him in the past, I have a thought to share.
In general, the content of the test must be shown to relate directly to the
job requirements and the scoring must be objective and consistent. I think
where you can run into trouble here is the subjective manner in which you
evaluate the test answers. It can be argued that you are discriminating
against one applicant over another and using the test to hide it.
Personally, I think you are making a good-faith effort to screen applicants
for the skills and qualities you value for your business. However, just one
complaint by an unhappy interviewee who claims that you didn't hire
him/her/it because you didn't like his/her/its theology, hair color, or
neighborhood and its off to court. Could spoil your whole day.

Just my take on the topic.

Al Miller
Chief Documentation Curmudgeon
Prometric, Inc.