RE: Technical Test

Subject: RE: Technical Test
From: Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 08:49:11 -0500

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) examination was one
of the examinations we at Prometric administered (by computer). It is
voluntary and any male or female high school student (over 16, I
believe--we stopped administering the examination over a year ago, so I
could be mistaken) can take the examination. If Bryan's high school
required the examination, they lied :-{). When I started college in 19
(mumble, mumble), I was informed that because the school was a land-grant
college, all freshmen and sophomores were required to take ROTC. This
turned out to be incorrect, though the university didn't change its policy.
It was a private (Jesuit) school and could make arbitrary policies pretty
much at will.

The point of this is (he said, cleverly bringing this back on topic), we
gotta check our facts back at the source. Even a trusted "authority" can
make a mistake or alter or misrepresent the facts to suit an agenda. As
Bryan's high school and my first college did. My job as a writer, technical
is to present accurate information in an understandable and logical way. I
can't do that without checking my facts at the source.

Just a few ramblings from a geezer who just spent a night connected to more
sensors than a high school science experiment gone horribly wrong.

Al Miller
Chief Documentation Curmudgeon
Prometric, Inc.

John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> on 03/01/2001 05:40:30

Please respond to John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

Sent by: bounce-techwr-l-40429 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>

For WHAT country do ya do that? Is this something new? Granted, I
graduated HS in '72 and it was a college prep school, but the only
tests I took were PSAT and SAT. Nothing with the word military ever
came up.

--- bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:
> The U.S. government would have to be the first to change its ways
> to comply.
> As far as I know, all male high school students are still required
> to take
> the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery in the 11th grade,
> whether
> they are planning to join the military or not.

John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

**WEST COAST LOCATIONS** San Jose (Mar 1-2), San Francisco (Apr 16-17) or 800-646-9989.