Re: FWD: Time estimates and getting credit

Subject: Re: FWD: Time estimates and getting credit
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 10:57:28 -0800

anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

> Additionally, am I just being an attention-seeker for wanting full credit
> for this proposal?
[snip]
> I have a really good relationship with my manager to the level that if I
> asked her to change it, I think she would, but I don't want to be giving
> her that I am trying to take away from my team lead. The truth of the
> situation is that I did the work.

I don't know if you are being an attention-seeker, but you are
over-reacting.

To be honest, a place where managers spend their time writing
reports and using the word "proactive" without blushing for shame
sounds like a place that I wouldn't care to work. However, by the
standards of such companies, you were treated very well. You were
given some credit, and you even got to see the report.

The chances are, nobody will even remember this report three months
from now. By contrast, you will be working regularly with your
manager. If you have a good relation with your manager, why endanger
it for the sake of some very fleeting credit?

Norman Spinrad, the SF writer, once said, "If you've written good
work, no one can take that away from you." If you really did do all
the work single-handedly, console yourself with that thought and
move on.

--
Bruce Byfield 317.833.0313 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications,

"You go to bed at ten 'cuz you've nothing else to do,
And every time that I eat vegetables, it makes me think of you."
-Attila the Stockbroker