Re: How formal or informal?

Subject: Re: How formal or informal?
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 10:21:31 -0500

Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com wrote:

> I would also avoid contractions. They can be confusing to non-native
> speakers--how many native speakers of English confuse its and it's, ones
> and one's, your and you're? You can achieve a relaxed, friendly style
> without using contractions, colloquialisms, or slang. Simple sentences,
> simple vocabulary, and speaking directly to the reader will do the trick.

Yes. My writing style is fairly informal, often uses 2nd person in preference
to 3rd, generally avoids passive voice, ... but I use no contractions, use
'for example' rather than 'e.g.', 'that is' rather than 'i.e.', avoid most
other abbreviations and try to put any I do use in the glossary, avoid most
slang or colloquialisms, ...