Re: Taking Minutes - Additional Information and Question

Subject: Re: Taking Minutes - Additional Information and Question
From: Cathy Anderson <caa -at- kscable -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 00:06:18 -0600

Carol Anne T. Wall wrote:

So, here's my follow-up question for those of you who see taking
minutes as
a source of personal/professional power -- how do you make it
empowering? It has to be something beyond our personal attitude because

the people who currently take minutes don't feel empowered and can't
wait
to get rid of the task. I don't think the writers are being "empowered"
by
management.

One way to empower the minutes-taker is to include powerful people on
the distribution list. Of course, management doesn't want to
get a lot of extra emails, but you may have leverage if they are
requiring your team to take the minutes. You could define a format that

summarizes up front the information they want most--risks, planned
mitigation strategies, etc.--and get them to agree that it's worthwhile
for them to receive the minutes. More detailed info needed by the team
can be put below the summary.

Cathy Anderson