FrameMaker (5.5)-to-PDF Hand Tool Mystery

Subject: FrameMaker (5.5)-to-PDF Hand Tool Mystery
From: "Ceilly, Jon" <JCeilly -at- Tickets -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:13:03 -0500

When I print to postscript and distill a FrameMaker (5.5) file to PDF, both
the PDF editor (Exchange) & the reader (3.0 & 4.0) add an annoying bit of
functionality to the standard hand tool.

A small black arrow displays on the back of the hand tool whenever the hand
is within he margins of a page. Single-clicking zooms in. If you continue to
single-click in the content area, you continue to zoom until you've reached
the document's maximum zoom level. Then the mysterious hand functionality
will page down with each single-click. You can still left click and hold to
move a page around with the view area (i.e., at deep zoom levels), but if
you happen to click on a page just to, for example, ensure that the window
selected or that the content area vs. the bookmark panel is selected, the
editor & reader start with the zooming/page-down antics.

Oddly enough, this hand functionality does not happen when I create a PDF
from Ms Word, using the same postscript driver, Distiller, and PDF editor.

I have not been able to associate this added hand tool functionality with
any option that I am turning on in any of the applications I'm using. And I
can't find anything within the Adobe knowledge base. Does anyone have any
insight as to why this is happening? It is incredibly annoying to me during
PDF creation (I add a fair amount of bells & whistles) and it frustrates my
users as well (all of this as I am trying to justify the cost of a second
FrameMaker license for my staff). Please help.

Thanks,

Jon Ceilly
jceilly -at- tickets -dot- com
Lead Technical Writer (IT)
Tickets.com, Inc.
PO Box 959, Syracuse, NY 13201
344 West Genesee Street, Syracuse, NY 13202
"Official Ticketing Supplier to the 2002 Olympic Winter Games"