Re: FrameMaker (5.5)-to-PDF Hand Tool Mystery

Subject: Re: FrameMaker (5.5)-to-PDF Hand Tool Mystery
From: "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:49:52 -0500

Ceilly, Jon wrote:
> When I print to postscript and distill a FrameMaker (5.5) file to PDF, both
> the PDF editor (Exchange) & the reader (3.0 & 4.0) add an annoying bit of
> functionality to the standard hand tool.
>
> A small black arrow displays on the back of the hand tool whenever the hand
> is within he margins of a page. Single-clicking zooms in. If you continue to
> single-click in the content area, you continue to zoom until you've reached
> the document's maximum zoom level. Then the mysterious hand functionality
> will page down with each single-click.

This is called "article following" or somesuch. It's useful if you have a
document with articles that don't necessarily flow from page to page. For
instance, a newsletter with the beginnings of four articles on page one,
with those articles continuing at various places within.

To turn it off, when you are using the "Print" dialog to set up printing

1) Make sure "Generate Acrobat Data" is checked.

2) Select "Acrobat Setup..."

3) Uncheck "Articles:" in the "Acrobat Setup" dialog box.

4) Select "Set" to confirm those options.

You're now returned to the "Print Document" dialog and can proceed as you
would.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu