Re: Autocreating hyperlinks to directory structures??

Subject: Re: Autocreating hyperlinks to directory structures??
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:58:16 -0500

On 03/12/2001 11:21 AM, Sanjay Srikonda (sanjay -dot- srikonda -at- kiodex -dot- com)
wrote:

>What I have is some thing like the following:
>
>K:\drivename\subdirectory\subdirectory\filename.ext
>
>I've got one giant list and would like to create a Webpage from this list,
>but can't think of a way to turn this listing of files into hyperlinks
>without manually linking each and every one of the file names to the
>corresponding file on the shared drive.

What you can do depends on your scripting and programming skills. Using
the tools you're likely to already have lying around, it shouldn't be too
time consuming to write a Word macro (using Visual BASIC for
Applications) that can open the text file, manipulate each line, and save
it under a new name, kind of like this:

1) Open the text document containing the list of files.
2) For each line:
replace K:\ with / (tells it to start at the root level of the Web
server instead of a K drive)
replace \ with / (go from DOS conventions to Web server conventions)
pre-pend the line with <A HREF=" + the line + "> + the line again +
</A> (create a link)
3) Repeat until all lines are done

The actual syntax is something you'll have to come up with, but the Word
VBA help is pretty thorough, if a little slow to slog through.

There are other scripting languages and environments if you want to
explore them... perl is available for almost every platform out there, so
if you ever leave DOS/Windows and go elsewhere, your scripts will still
work with minor tweaking.

Hope this is what you were looking for,
----->Mike

3)

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman