Re: Personal development plan

Subject: Re: Personal development plan
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:20:52 -0800 (PST)

"Annette Gentzel" wrote...

> I have been asked by my manager to create a personal development plan.
> Somehow I do not think "come in, do my job, and leave" will fly. Has
> anyone else completed one? What was included? Is there anyone willing to
> show me an example? Thanks in advance.

<shiver>

How about:

1. Make an insane amount of money off whistle-blowing on this company's severe
neglect of even basic human rights.

2. Relocate to an island where I can oppress hundreds of non-English-speaking
people.

3. Bend space-time with my breath.

4. Become more emotionally involved with my computer software.

In reality, your "come in, work hard, and leave" plan is actually pretty good.
Do you REALLY think your boss wants to hear the truth? They want to find out if
you're after their job or have your eyes elsewhere.

Whatever you do - make sure you include ONLY work-related goals. Personal
development plans that say things like "I want to get a degree on company time"
and "I want to take a lot of classes on technologies unrelated to my job" or "I
want a job that pays better" are basically documentation your employer can use
against you.

Maybe I am just jaded from being disconnected from the corporate world for a
long time now. But, I never trust anybody who wants to know my plans. If they
know, they can prepare a defense (or attack). I prefer to have the element of
surprise. As the cliche says "what they don't know can't hurt you."

Andrew Plato

http://auctions.yahoo.com/