RE: Personal development plan

Subject: RE: Personal development plan
From: "Miller, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Miller -at- Anheuser-Busch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:01:30 -0600

[paraphrase] What are the particulars of a personal development plan?

Annette:

I am thinking this is more about a -professional development plan-, so I will
focus on that. If I'm wrong, I will say that my employeer doesn't need to know
my personal goals/development plans.

But with regard to a professional development plan, I'm beginning to think this
is a trend in the consulting industry. I've worked as a consultant for several
agencies and creating development plan seems to be the method of choice to keep
consultants longer. The thinking seems to be that if we know your plan we can
better support your advancement desires, and, therefore, keep you longer.

These types of plans generally focus on one, three, and five year goals. In the
near term (one year), what projects and/or training do you want to complete. In
the midterm, (three years), what position, work, or levels of responsibility do
you want to have based on your completed projects and/or training you identified
for the first year? Also, what projects/responsibilities do you want to have?
In the long term (five years), what position, work, or levels of responsibility
do you want based on the experiences you have planned to accomplished in the
near and mid term.

I also provide some background that describes my traits or experiences that have
lead me to desire these goals. If it applies, I add to how my goals can fit
into what I understand are the company goals. For example, if the company is
transitioning from "body work" to "project work." I would show how my goals for
increasing my levels of responsibility could help the company create a writing
department or provide documentation support to a development team.

Lisa A. Miller
Technical Writer
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Packaging Team - Corporate Engineering
mailto:lisa -dot- miller -at- anheuser-busch -dot- com
(314) 865-8904

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin