RE: Acronyms

Subject: RE: Acronyms
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:24:30 -0500

At 12:46 PM 3/13/2001 -0600, Roy Jacobsen wrote:

I think the point is why do we find it necessary to make the distinction
between a plain expert and a subject-matter expert?

I've managed to have many years of successful technical writing without ever meeting or talking to anyone called an "SME." The only place I've even encountered that acronym has been on this list. In the 10+ companies I've worked or contracted for, I've often consulted the developers, project managers, and designers, and it's all been very useful without a single SME in sight.

Of course, I've always managed to work for smaller companies. I think that companies generate acronyms in direct proportion to the number of employees they have, but that's just my personal theory.

Good luck, and remember: if an acronym doesn't add convenience or understanding, why use it?

----->Mike