Re: Saving Word to ASCII

Subject: Re: Saving Word to ASCII
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:18:33 -0500

At 12:23 PM 3/13/2001 -0700, Tony Dutson wrote:

I haven't done this before and Word doesn't have an option to save in ASCII.
I checked the archive and believe it has something to do with rich text
format but I'm still confused. Can someone help clear me up?

The other responses you're getting are all excellent, but be aware of one under-used feature of Word... Text with Layout. It's a Save As... format that may not be available unless you installed *all* of the open/save formats when you installed Word. If it's not provided as an option, you can always use the Word Setup program to add it now.

Text with Layout saves in plain ASCII just like the other Text options, but it attempts to preserve some of the layout options (indents, tabs, space between paragraphs, centering, and so on) using nothing but plain ASCII. The results are frequently horrible, but closer to the original than plain Text format, and it's usually not too difficult to fix it up in Notepad.

I've used this option often for moving Release Notes out of Word or WinHelp for including them on disk, where the developers insisted on using plain text "in case they're not running Windows." Uh-huh...

Anyway, hope this helps.

----->Mike