RE: Interviewing potential coworkers

Subject: RE: Interviewing potential coworkers
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:21:22 -0500

Bruce Byfield writes:

> "Ehr, Meg" wrote:
>
> > I am not the hiring manager, but the boss says she will
> > want me to talk to candidates to help determine fit, etc. The
> final decision
> > will be hers, though, not mine.
>
> Your manager says that your job is to determine "fit." That means
> that your role isn't to determine candidates' skills, but to help
> decide whether they can be part of your immediate team.
>
> In many ways, this isn't something that you can ask questions about.

If you're interviewing for "fit", rather than skills, I recommend that you
be part of a joint interview. This lets you listen to how the interviewee
responds to the other questions and gives you the opportunity to ask
follow-up questions without repeating what your manager or HR has already
asked. For example, if the interviewee says he doesn't have experience
designing his own templates (which to you signals that this will likely
remain your responsibility), you might ask a follow-up "fit" question, such
as, "What did you like best... and worst about using someone else's
templates for your writing?"

Note this is only an example. It could be any area where you see the
interviewee as being weak (and you want to know about how they feel about
taking guidance from others, such as yourself) or strong (and you want to
see if you might get into battles over your similar areas of expertise).

Joint interviews are also nice (for the interviewer), because it allows each
interviewer time to write notes or look at samples while the other person is
asking questions.

Michele Marques
Technical Writer,
Autros Healthcare Solutions
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com

This material is intended for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary,
confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the material to the
intended recipient, you are notified that dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately via
e-mail and destroy this message accordingly.