Re: Favorite Technical Writing Websites

Subject: Re: Favorite Technical Writing Websites
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:13:02 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com ("Richard Smith") writes:
>Neal asks:
>| list[ing] your favorite 10
>| or so websites. Mine include, but are not limited to ...
>Well, the ones I use the most at work are...
> - the site I use the most, hands down.

I prefer, Altavista's faster version, because
it recognizes quote-phrasing and Booleans.

> for searching usenet archives. I was sad to see it go, google's
>version isn't even close.

which still searches without google.

Those of you interested in writing guidelines for
the web may be interested in my collection at

Other good sites:

Freeality Internet Search

A one-page combination of many dictionary search engines, with
interactive fields so you can search them all from this page

Editor's Reference Page

A compilation of site lists for dictionaries, encyclopedias,
grammar/style guides, and the like. Very thorough.

The Virtual Reference Desk

Another list of sites for dictionaries, thesaurii, acronyms,
information technology, reference sources, government documents,
and the like

HTML Tips (my favorite of many HTML Guide sites)

XML Sites

I think this site lists every XML site on the web!

Links to sites that let you know about scams, viruses, and hoaxes

Copyright tips

Technology Law Research

And, my all-time favorite site... *drumroll*

The Internet Movie Database :->

-- Janice

**New Dates!!** San Francisco (Apr 16-17), San Jose (Mar 29-30) or 800-646-9989.