Re: Big Doc Word

Subject: Re: Big Doc Word
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:10:18 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

> I'm a little confused over all the fretting and fussing over Word and Master
> docs.

[snip]

> There are lots of other things you can do, these are just the first that pop
> into my mind.

I suspect that people on the list are familiar with many of the
workarounds you list. However, I also suspect that people find it
mildly crazy that they have to resort to so many dodges just to coax
basic functionality out of MS Word. It's not surprising that people
want to sound off when a product is so shoddy yet so unavoidable.
And, if you don't know the workarounds, you might - like the
original poster - be forgiven a small moue of annoyance when a
documented feature doesn't work.

Frankly, people are far too tolerent of lapses of quality throughout
computing - but that's another story.

>My point is, don't try to apply the methods you use in Frame to Word. You will
>undoubtly fail and then become emotionally attached to Frame.

I've always thought that the difference between Framemaker and MS
Word was the difference between sins of omission and sins of
comission. That is, the problems with Framemaker tend to be missing
features, such as macro support, while the problems with MS Word
tend to be with broken existing features, such as as the master
document feature.

"We are not beginners, we will not be fooled,
The times have been our teachers, and they teach an iron rule:
We do our best work in the dark, we do our thinking on the run,
We will hang together till the longest day is done."
-Oysterband, "A Fire Is Burning"