RE: a question about verb tense/is or was?

Subject: RE: a question about verb tense/is or was?
From: Dylan McDonald <DMcDonald -at- radvision -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:30:56 -0500

I'm going to vote with Charles on the use of the past tense (*was*) because
the main clause's verb is in the past tense. I use the following rule for
tense sequence in main/subordinate clauses:

"As long as the main clause's verb is in neither the past nor the past
perfect tense, the verb of the subordinate clause can be in any tense that
conveys meaning accurately. When the main clause verb is in the past or past
perfect, however, the verb in the subordinate clause must be in the past or
past perfect. The exception to this rule is when the subordinate clause
expresses what is commonly known as a general truth."

This rule of thumb is taken from the "Guide to Grammar and Writing," an
online reference maintained by Professor of English Charles Darling for
English courses at Capital Community College and for the general online
public. The following link from this site contains a useful table for verb
tense sequence (http://ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/sequence.htm).

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Dylan