RE: Experience/No experience

Subject: RE: Experience/No experience
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:13:28 -0600

Well, the usual solution is to take on volunteer work to build up experience
and a portfolio. Another _possible_ option, if you can find it, is to sell
yourself cheap, if someone will take you on.

> What is the difference, in terms of job description, if any, between "data
> entry" and "word processing"?

The data entry person is usually transferring data into a database, such as
logging inventory into the computer. In my brief experience with data entry,
you rarely, if ever, have occasion to type a whole sentence.

The word processing person might type letters, use functions in Word such as
"mail merge," and general secretarial duties.

These answers are based on personal experience and observations. Of course,
there are numerous instances where the two roles overlap.

David Berg