Re: Advanced online course in Javascripting - is there one?

Subject: Re: Advanced online course in Javascripting - is there one?
From: <puff -at- guild -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:56:47 -0400

> One of my staff is interested in doing an advanced course in
> Javascripting. He already is a fairly skilled coder, and he is
> pretty good at Javascripting already. He is looking for a course
> that will deepen his knowledge of Javascript, not just introduce new
> shiny tricks that Javascript can do.

I don't think there *is* such a thing as advanced javascript :-).

More seriously, the big reason you're not seeing a lot of truly
advanced courses is that javascript has some real problems. Serious
programmers usually run into the shortcomings fairly quickly, and end
up leaving it behind. As you start to do more complex things,
javascript becomes far kludgier and more browser-specific. Maybe if
the browser DOM stablizes and matures for a couple of generations this
won't be as much of a problem. As a result of this, there aren't that
many people around who are truly advanced programmers who bother to
program in javascript.

That said, there are some truly bizarre and massive things out
there written in Javascript. The best way to learn is to look at
other people's code. In general, I'd suggest your coder get a copy of
O'Reilly's _Javascript: The Definitive Guide_ and _Javascript
ApplicationCookbook_ and start reading code.

The Mozilla project has an open-source implementation of
javascript, I believe, so he might want to check that out and get a
little under the covers. Here's the URL for the Mozilla javascript
site:

http://www.mozilla.org/js/

It looks like they have a good list of resource links here. They
also suggest two good ideas: subscribe to comp.lang.js and get on
EFnet's IRC channel #JavaScript.

I've done some javascript, however, most of what I've done has
been under duress :-) and usually pretty warped, skipping past the
bread & butter GUI stuff, straight to really arcane issues. My
favorite weird javascript trick is embedding javascript commands in
the closed-captioning track of apple quicktimes.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- guild -dot- net