RE: TW job outlook

Subject: RE: TW job outlook
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:16:05 -0700 (PDT)

> It is sometimes difficult to see humor in things
> like that. On the other
> hand, it does reinforce the ancient myths of
> mischievous gods and demons
> that delight in tricking lesser beings.

Sometimes difficult, but almost any situation can be
turned around with the right joke. :) Just think, a
few months from now you may be in a better company
with better pay and benefits and laugh to yourself (or
out loud, if you prefer *g*) as you watch the company
from which you were involuntary liberated go down in
flames.

The job market for writers is not drying up by any
means - it's evolving. We're either seen as people who
write books, or as people who have a highly technical
approach to information delivery. Some companies have
seen that the need for the dead tree processors is
gone, but haven't the foresight to see the potential
value for other means of information delivery.

Keep your eyes open for an opportunity that looks
promising. My best advice is not to grab the first job
that comes your way for the sake of having a job. Ride
on Uncle Sam's back for a while if you need to (after
all, that's what you've been paying taxes for,
partially) and find that job that will really make you
happy. Or, consult for a while, determine WHAT it is
you'd like to be doing, and then do it.

I've been through 2 downsizings, and though it doesn't
qualify me as an expert (if there is such a thing), I
have learned what to and not to do. Step 1 is not to
feel sorry for yourself. Conquer that, and you're
golden. Hell, I had a blast when I was first laid off.
I completed some more complicated adventure computer
games I had collecting dust, I got into moutain
biking, I cooked more interesting meals for dinner,
and I got to enjoy the moments with my kids that I'd
usually miss from being at work. Of course, you
probably want to get a job at some point, but enjoy
your "time off" for a little while as well. After all,
you deserve it.

When you're ready to start job hunting, first do some
market research in your area. Read the paper, the
classifieds, check the Monstr.com and other job boards
for the type of positions (all, not just TW) being
advertised in your immediate area. Then determine from
that which companies are more together and learn about
them from their web sites and so forth. Then start
sending your resumes out there, even if they don't
have a current opening (if they don't, write a cover
letter that highlights your skills and where you want
to go with them, and mention how you can benefit said
company, and what positions you'd be suited for).

I think I'm rambling, but you get the idea. Look at
the bright side and stay positive. You have a chance
to start over - do it right.

=====
Bill Swallow
Information Design & Development Professional
bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com - www.geocities.com/bill_swallow
List Owner, HATT <groups.yahoo.com/group/hatt>
List Owner, WWP-Users <groups.yahoo.com/group/wwp-users>
Editor, InFrame Magazine <www.inframe-mag.com>