Re: Ethics and morals...

Subject: Re: Ethics and morals...
From: "Cindy Parker-Mart" <cparker -at- fuse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:48:35 -0400

This has been a fascinating thread. I have a slightly different opinion
that what I've seen so far.

I would be extremely grateful if my management came to me and said hey this
is for a porn site, are you comfortable doing this work. I know many of us
probably don't have the luxury of management that at least considers their
employees feelings, ethics, morals or values when making a business decision
such as this. The rule of you work here, so do what we tell you usually
applies.

Whether you agree, disagree or don't care about porn, weapons, or other
end-user applications is a personal decision. But to have the management
consider their employees feelings is terrific. I wish I worked there, on
porn sites or other projects...

My company is a broadband provider. Our team is responsible for the web
sites and all other documentation in the company. On occasion, we run a
promotion for a content provider on our site that streams broadcast-quality
movies and television programs. On the flash image we created, the
marketing people picked Bay watch (out of dozens of television programs) to
advertise. I found that to be of questionable taste... The images we
created had a picture of Pamela Anderson's Face... Marketing wanted a full
body shot. I was very surprised by my reaction to this - when did I get
such morals or turn into a prude? I was absolutely infuriated and offended
that we chose to focus on a jiggle TV program first of all and that of all
pictures we could use, we went with "T& A" (marketing's quote, not mine).
Imagine my surprise at myself... I am the only woman on the team, and one of
only 3 women on the Tech side of the business. I can tell dirty jokes like
everyone else, and I have always thought I had extremely thick skin. Not
much ever really offends me. What did offend me was the blatant use of sex
to sell. It was calculated and deliberate. I voiced my objections, they
were ignored - but in the end I did my job. I think that if nothing else, I
offered a contrasting opinion so that we as a company could make an informed
decision ( THAT along with writing the content is my job).

Moral of this story: While I disagree with this decision, I spoke up, was
outvoted, and life goes on. I am not losing sleep, I have much bigger
things to worry about. However, I do think a whole lot less of our
marketing people. So, with all that said, I wish anon good luck. S/he at
least works in an environment where his/her feelings are considered.

All my best,
C.

Cindy Parker-Mart
Information Engineer, Online Architecture
ZoomTown.com
Phone: 513.397.9768
PCS: 513.235.5905

<insert clever quote here>