Drafting legal text

Subject: Drafting legal text
From: Eric Rhinerson <Eric -dot- Rhinerson -at- bankerssystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:32:10 -0500

Actually, it isn't an impossible mission. It is entirely feasible for a
non-attorney to draft legal documents. I know several tech writers who have
worked in quasi-legal-technical arenas for years. Much of the preliminary
drafting can be done without having JD behind the writer's name.
However, whatever documents have been drafted by the tech writer are only
the first incarnation and must still be reviewed/approved by an attorney.
Granted, the ability to even do the initial draft requires a specific skill
set.
At the other end of the process, I edit a substantial amount of text that
was drafted by attorneys for readability. Many lawyers will be the first to
admit that they are not professional writers. but you can be certain that
any change I make is approved by an attorney before it hits an end user.
Another substantial difference in attorney dealings develops when dealing
with on-staff counsel (who probably don't need to address "billable" hours)
and hired guns.
As in any profession, there will be lawyers who inflate their hours as well
as there are Tech writers who inflate their hours and estimates.

The most important thing to remember is that if what you are writing has
legal implications (of any nature), a lawyer needs to give the final stamp
of approval.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.