pronouns and portfolios

Subject: pronouns and portfolios
From: jhamilton%XN_TECHNOLOGIES -at- xn-tech -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:54:00 -0700

Hey Whirlers:

I have two questions.

#1--After reading part of one of Geoff Hart's replies, I got to thinking
about the agreement issue in using the word "they" when you're talking
about someONE. For example,

<snip>
if the writer is
blaming Word, sit down with them and watch them write--assuming they'll let
you do this. Maybe they're simply using the software the wrong way, and
observing them will reveal this so you can explain the problem and help
them
to solve it.
</snip>

I'm a student (and a tech writer intern), and we had a discussion about
this in a grammar class where the teacher said using "they" as a pronoun
for an unidentified someone may eventually become common usage.
Personally, I think it's a great way to overcome the "s/he" conundrum,
although I avoid it in my papers. What do you think?

#2--I will someday need to create a portfolio for potential employers. My
employer is very reluctant to let any documentation out of the company.
Legend has it that a writer once wanted to submit some exemplary work for
an STC competition (for which it eventually won an award), but it took MUCH
effort on the writer's part to get it released. Also, my most significant
project has been online help. How can I put THAT in a portfolio, and what
have y'all done to get documents released to put in your portfolios?

(This was covered somewhat in the archives but not recently.)

Janet Hamilton

PS to Geoff:

<snip>
Heck, I'd have used the Canadian liberal
Party if anyone outside Canada had ever heard of them. <g>
</snip>

I've heard of them, but only because I used to live across the water from
Victoria, BC. If you don't have cable there, all the news comes from
Canada. :-)

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.