RE: Frame 5.5 TOC -- Placement of Text

Subject: RE: Frame 5.5 TOC -- Placement of Text
From: Jill Shindelman <jill_shindelman -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 07:14:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Worzel Gummidge <worzel_gummidge -at- lycos -dot- com> wrote:
> All:
>
> I want to include the word "Table of Contents" in
> the TOC, above the actual contents (leaders & page
> numbers) so that I don't need to type it everytime I
> generate/update (call it a watermark if you like);
> however, when I do generate/update it seems to
> disapear...and I have tried typing it in the master
> page, but it always disapears from the TOC body
> page. Funny though, its still in the TOC master
> page.

To add a title to a table of contents in FrameMaker,
you have to be sure that it is in a paragraph by
itself, positioned above the actual table of contents
entries, and given a name that does not end in "TOC."
When a table of contents is generated, the entries are
created based on the corresponding tags in the
document itself. So Heading1 entries are represented
in the TOC by Heading1TOC tags, Heading2 entries by
Heading2TOC tags, etc. Every time the table of
contents is regenerated, all these xxxxTOC tags are
replaced. What you are probably experiencing is that
the title is using the Heading1TOC style and as a
result is being deleted at every update.

I use FrameMaker 6.0, so the exact steps to build the
title may be a little different from those in 5.5, but
the basic idea is to type the desired information for
the title, using the desired font, in the area above
the table of contents entries. (Do this on the body
page, not the master or reference page.) Then use
Paragraph Designer to give a unique name to this
paragraph (how about TOCTitle?) that does not end in
TOC so it does not get replaced when the table is
updated. Apply this new tag to your title text and
you should be off and running.

Good luck!

Jill Shindelman

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/