Re: Rules for i.e. & e.g.

Subject: Re: Rules for i.e. & e.g.
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:34:36 -0700

I agree with the posters who advise against using these
abbreviations. However, I would amend that slightly to "don't use
them in finished documents." Abbreviations like these (or etc.) are
very handy in first drafts, where you just want to get your thoughts
down, and in some sort of rough form. However, in finished
documents, they look rough and imprecise, as if you haven't bothered
to finish developing your thoughts or to express yourself clearly.

I also can't resist reminding those who said that the abbreviations
might trouble non-English speakers that these abbreviations are
actually Latin.

Not that there's a lot of Roman citizens around these days :-)

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"We did it ! And everything else as well,
We're all Libyan students from hell."
- Attila the Stockbroker, "Libyan Students from Hell"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.